Many in Asia follow Western or Japanese or Korean popular culture but some of us cold warriors, we miss Russia - remember all those inexpensive and colorful science books, Tarkovsky movies and upbeat Tsoi music videos. Fortunately for us, these days Russia can be found easily in South East Asia - all you have to do is to go to certain beach areas.
Notes and translation for the photos below
- Russian travel agent welcoming newly arrived tourists
- And if you miss the Vietnamese fare, there are always small alleys you can walk into.
- This place is popular with the Chinese too, with several direct flights from smaller cities in China.
- Most street signs in the couple of streets along the beach are in Russian and Chinese - here is a pharmacy, next doors is a Russian restaurant. This city also has food from Armenia, Georgia, Uzbekistan and other former Soviet republics.
- Heavies - perhaps former inter-agency colleagues
- Celebrating Russia-Vietnam friendship. And of course, wi-fi everywhere.
- “Russian spoken here” at a travel agents
- This shop can copy any bikini design in one day.